University of Northwestern is located in the heart of Minneapolis and St. Paul, a vibrant metropolitan area where you won't run out of things to do:
- Go to a Broadway show.
- Attend a concert.
- Swim in a pool, a wave pool or a lake.
- Go sailing.
- Visit a waterfall.
- Go snowboarding.
- Go sledding.
- Skate on a lake or indoor rink.
- Eat at an outdoor restaurant.
- Eat food from hundreds of different countries.
- Visit a farmer's market.
- Go to the Science Museum, History Center or Art Museum.
- Visit a park—or all 250 of them. Or a lake—all 936 of them. Check out the downtown scene in Minneapolis or St. Paul.
- Ride a bus.
- Hop on the light rail.
- Get lost at the Mall of America
- Explore communities that still have a Main Street.
- Go to a professional baseball, football, hockey, basketball, lacrosse or soccer game.
- Take in a symphony or chamber orchestra concert.
- Tour the headquarters of major corporations like General Mills, Target, Medtronic or 3M.
- Go snow tubing.
- Ride an alpine slide.
- Splash at the Waterpark of America.
- Hike at Taylors Falls.
- Relive your childhood at the Model Railroad Museum.
Now breathe. And really, that's not everything.
On and off campus—something for everyone
In addition to a stunningly beautiful campus located on Lake Johanna—complete with a private beach and canoes to enjoy it—you can experience all of the above plus four seasons (we won't lie, it can get pretty cold here) and so much more!
More than 3 million people live in the Twin Cities metropolitan area yet many people say it feels more like a big small town. "Minnesota nice" is real and you'll find people here are pretty friendly.
The Twin Cities is the 4th most culturally diverse metropolitan community in the U.S. There are over 200 multicultural or ethnic churches in the Twin Cities so you can get a little taste of heaven if you wish to worship with every nation, tribe and tongue.
If you love to eat, you'll love Northwestern's food prepared by Bon Appétit, and you can also find just about anything you want somewhere in the Twin Cities. "Eat Street" (a six-block stretch on Nicollet Ave. in South Minneapolis) has over 75 ethnic restaurants!
Experience the best of on-campus and off-campus life at Northwestern.