Mel Johnson Media Center, MJ171
2993 Snelling Avenue North
St. Paul, MN 55113
Pursue Christ. Pursue Craft.
As Communication Studies, Public Relations, or Media Production majors, we believe those four words above give us mission. When we pursue Jesus and pursue our craft wholeheartedly together, good things happen. Not easy things. Good things for you. How do we know? Because we've seen it; God at work through current students and alumni. It's amazing. So many grand experiences await you, too. Start your adventure at the The MEL: Media Entertainment Lab.
Great Job Prospects
- Media and PR, Communication careers are growing fast- nearly 15-20% faster than the national average.
- Employers consistently rank strong communication as the most highly-valued and desirable job skill needed for new hires!
- The Twin Cities provides numerous internship and freelance opportunities. As the 15th largest media market in the U.S, you'll be able to get connected to an accessible and vibrant community of media producers, production companies, ad agencies, sports teams, Radio/TV stations, church/media ministries, event planners, and Communication/PR specialists.
Start Right Away
- No need to wait. You start gaining hands-on real-world experience in your first semester. Choose from one of our five workshops (Film, Radio, PR, Web, or Video Storytelling.).
- When you think about it, The MEL is totally just like business and marketing –just without all the math! So there's that. Woot.
- Northwestern Media is located on the second floor of The MEL and is a UNW owned media network with 23 radio stations in 14 different markets.
- The MEL acts as their "farm team". So that means there several paid internship opportunities in areas such as: engineering, podcasting, production, programming, PR/marketing, promotions, social media, on-air, concerts and event planning.
- You can even host your own radio show at one of our other network stations from The MEL
- Be a part of the Five16 Film Festival every April!
- Some fun travel are coming up such as the CMB University Audio Conference in Nashville, the Sundance Film Festival/Windrider Institute in Park City, and a study abroad media project with Daystar University in Kenya.