Students who have been enrolled at University of Northwestern anytime between April 2019 and April 2020 are eligible to enter. Films by those who are not enrolled at Northwestern in spring 2020 must have had at least 50% of production completed while the entrant was a student.
Short films that have previously screened in the Five16 Film Festival are not eligible for submission. Films that have been previously submitted but not chosen for screening are only eligible if they have been heavily re-edited.
Films in a language other than English must be subtitled in English for festival presentation.
All videos must have a running time of eight minutes or less, including credits.
The following materials are required for submission:
- Completed entry form with signatures of all UNW entrants
- Flash drive, labeled with entrant’s name(s) and film title (flash drive will only be returned if labeled)
- Envelopes will be available to place the flash drive in when submitting films.
- All flash drives must be turned in to MJ170 and entry forms submitted online by 10:00 a.m. (CST) on Monday, March 16.
- Submissions may also be mailed to: Five16 Film Festival; University of Northwestern, 3003 Snelling Ave. N., St. Paul, MN 55113 *Mailed entries must be received by the submission deadline.*
A student may submit more than one film, but each film must be on a separate flash drive and accompanied by its own completed entry form.
The theme verse of the Five16 Film Festival is “Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16) Films entered in the festival must not contain content that contradicts the theme of the festival. Films may not contain any copyrighted music or other media without obtaining proper permissions for use and distribution. By submitting a film, a student takes responsibility for all content contained within.
All films will be pre-screened and then reviewed by a panel of UNW faculty and staff from various departments. A select number of films will be approved for screening in the Five16 Film Festival on April 6, 2020. While films will be reviewed using a rubric, the panel reserves the right to make selections based on opinion and appropriateness for the festival.
- Selected films will participate in one of the festival’s five categories, the winners of which are chosen by a panel of three professional judges. The winning film in each category will receive an Amazon gift card.
- All student films screened in the festival are eligible for the Audience Choice Award, which is chosen based on votes submitted by the festival audience. The film receiving the highest number of votes will receive the title of “Audience Choice”.
- All student films screened in the festival are eligible for the Best Cinematography Award, which is chosen by a panel of three professional judges.
- All student films screened in the festival are eligible for the Best Sound Design Award, which is chosen by a panel of three professional judges. This award is sponsored by The Remnant student radio station.
Complete your Five16 Film Festival Entry Form here: 2020 Five16 Film Festival Entry Form