Interested in taking college classes in a new cultural context? We offer many study abroad programs to help students learn and grow. Students can explore the world while completing their degree, building valuable overseas experience, and making new friends in other countries. Faculty-led short term, summer, or full semester options available.
Northwestern has partnered with numerous program partners to offer study abroad options for any major.
As a member of the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU), Northwestern has partnered with the following organizations to offer these unique programs:
- American Studies Program in Washington, D.C.
- Contemporary Music Center in Nashville, TN
- Los Angeles Film Studies Center in Los Angeles, CA
- Middle East Studies Program in Amman, Jordan
- Northern Ireland Semester in Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Scholars' Semester in Oxford in Oxford, England
- Global Health Emphasis in Uganda
- API - Academic Programs International with featured programs in Croatia, Italy, Poland, and Scotland
- CEA - Cultural Education Abroad, multiple locations
- ISA - International Studies Abroad, multiple locations
- LCC - International University, Lithuania
- Veritas Christian Study Abroad, multiple locations
Major Specific Programs
Here are just a few options in our degree programs:
- Practice speaking Spanish in Spain (Spanish Degree)
- Live out your faith in Costa Rica (Spanish Degree)
- Study film in Los Angeles, CA (Media Production Degree)
- Dive into recording arts in Nashville, TN (Media Production Degree)
- Study as a camp counselor in Westboro, WI (Ministry Degree)
Faculty Led Options
- Take Fine Arts and Literature core curriculum courses in Italy (All Majors)
- Experience biblical history in Jerusalem (Biblical & Theological Studies Degree)
For more information contact Kendra Sundeen at the Center for Global Programs.
Academic Programs International (API)
API partners with host universities and local organizations across Asia, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East to offer a diverse set of experiences abroad, including study, intern, work, teach and volunteer options. Students can choose from short-term, semester-long, and full academic year programs that complement a variety of major disciplines. UNW has featured programs with API in Italy, Poland, Croatia, and Scotland. Find more details at www.apiabroad.com.
Matriculated students 18 years or older, with a minimum GPA of 2.25 and one completed semester at Northwestern are eligible to study abroad.
With a home tuition model, students pay Northwestern tuition, room, and fees. Northwestern then remits the program costs directly to the program partners.
Students may be considered for financial assistance for full-time off-campus study. In order to be considered for financial assistance (i.e., Federal and/or State) through University of Northwestern, the program must be recognized by the University, the student must have established at least one semester of enrollment on campus (two semesters on campus if the student desires to be considered for institutional aid), and the student must meet program qualifications.
Students can use all of their Federal and State aid as long as they remain an enrolled Northwestern student. In addition, students may apply for Off-Campus Studies Assistance.
Students are responsible for travel costs for the majority of the programs.
The campus deadline is October 15th for all Spring Semester programs and March 15th for all Summer and Fall Semester programs.