June 25–29, 2018
- Dr. Richard Lange (Coordinator, Master Classes, Piano Lessons)
- Dr. Leonard Danek (Theory, Piano Lessons)
- Sonja Grimes (Piano Lessons)
- Pamela Helander-Sohriakoff (Piano Lessons)
- Dr. Paul Wirth (Master Classes, Piano Lessons, Recitals)
- Reed Tetzloff (Piano Lessons)
The goal of the Piano Institute is to provide a concentrated week of stimulating musical activities within a Christian environment which will motivate and encourage students in their piano studies.
Who may study
The Institute is open to serious piano students ages 10–18 (intermediate to advanced levels). Students will be grouped according to age and ability.
If you are new to the Piano Institute, please submit an audio or video recording of one piece from current repertoire. This audition can be submitted as part of your online application.
- Daily lessons
- Two scheduled practice periods per day
- Ensemble experience
- Classes: Music Appreciation, Music Theory, Piano Literature, Performance, and Improvisation
- 8:30 a.m.–8:40 a.m. – Devotions
- 8:40 a.m.–11:45 a.m. – Classes/lessons
- 11:45 a.m. – Lunch
- 12:45–3:15 p.m. – Classes/lessons
- 3:15–4 p.m. – Master Class
The Friday Ensemble Recital features duets and trios learned during the Institute. Students must prepare a memorized piece prior to the Institute and perform that piece during a Saturday Solo Recital. Recitals are located in the carousels and the choir room of the Totino Fine Arts Center.
- Friday: 4:30 p.m. – Ensemble Recital
- Saturday: 9:15 a.m. and 11 a.m. – Solo Recitals
- Students may bring a sack lunch, or
- Lunch is available in the campus cafeteria (Choose this option when you apply online.)
- Ages 13 and older only
- Available in University of Northwestern dormitories, Sunday (after 5 p.m.) – Friday nights (includes A/C & private bath)
- Planned evening activities and swimming are available to students.
- Adult supervision provided.
- Dorms are equipped with a stove, microwave and refrigerator for breakfast and evening meals.
- Application Fee: $25
- Tuition: $395
- Lodging (optional): $150
- Lunch (optional): $50
Application and registration
Step1: All interested students must apply online. If you are a first time applicant to the Piano Institute please include a video/audio recording with your online application. There is a $25 non-refundable application fee.
Step 2: Upon acceptance into the Piano Institute you will receive a tuition statement via email. You can make payments online, by calling the office, or by sending in a check.
- Applications accepted starting: March 1
- Application deadline: June 15
- Payment deadline: July 1
- Late Registration Fee: $20
- 50% refund if student withdraws after the application deadline
- Application Fee is nonrefundable