Undergraduate Transfer Students | University of Northwestern, St. Paul
UNW Response to Covid-19

Undergraduate Transfer Students

Are you a student with prior college experience looking to transfer to Northwestern? Learn how to apply as a transfer student and connect with an admissions counselor.

students working together in class

Undergraduate Transfer Students – Undergraduate transfer students are those pursuing traditional (day-school) degrees.

Applying as an Undergraduate Transfer Student

  1. Complete an Application for Admission.
  2. Request delivery of the following documents:

    1. Official and final High School Transcript*
    2. Official College Transcripts*
    3. Optional: ACT, SAT, and/or CLT Test Scores (Codes: ACT 2138 or SAT 6489)

NOTE - Undergraduate applicants who have previously completed a bachelor's degree will be requested to provide official collegiate transcripts prior to admittance; high school transcripts and ACT/SAT/CLT test scores will not be required for admittance.

*When requesting delivery of official transcripts, please request that your institution mail your materials to the following address, or email them to admissions@unwsp.edu.

Admissions Office
3003 Snelling Avenue North
St. Paul, MN 55113

Application Deadlines

  • Spring 2021 Term - Application Deadline December 15, 2020
  • Fall 2021 Term - Application Deadline August 1, 2021

Transfer Credits

A transfer credit evaluation may be requested to determine how your credits will apply to your desired major at Northwestern. Northwestern accepts coursework with grades of C- or higher from accredited and some non-accredited institutions. Classes are evaluated for transfer on a course-by-course basis.

For a bachelor’s degree or an associate degree, a minimum of 30 credits must be completed at Northwestern. Additionally, a minimum of 50 percent of major and minor coursework must be completed at Northwestern. Finally, students must have completed a minimum number of credits at Northwestern to be eligible for undergraduate graduation honors (30-59 credits for “with distinction” honors and minimum of 60 credits for Latin honors; see the catalog for more information).

All courses must be college-level to fulfill traditional undergraduate core curriculum requirements. Remedial coursework will not fulfill degree requirements. Please see course catalog or contact the transfer counselor for details.

NOTE – Please note that the transfer credit evaluation option is not offered for potential nursing students. A transfer credit evaluation will be automatically completed and sent upon admittance to the university and receipt of all collegiate transcripts.


Bachelor of Arts in Music Articulation Agreement

Anoka-Ramsey Community College and the University of Northwestern – St. Paul have established an agreement to facilitate credit transfer and provide a smooth transition from Associate in Fine Arts: Music (Anoka-Ramsey Community College) to Bachelor of Arts in Music (University of Northwestern – St. Paul).

Academic Minimums

Prospective transfer students may be admitted with a minimum collegiate GPA of 2.50. Prospective post-baccalaureate students may be admitted with a minimum collegiate GPA of 2.75. A limited number of students with below-standard academic credentials may be transitionally admitted upon an additional review process.

Class Standing

A student’s class standing is based upon the number of transferable credits and credits by examination earned before matriculation.

Transferable CreditsClass Standing
30-59 Sophomore

Military & Veteran Services

You may be eligible to count some of your military experience towards credits at Northwestern, saving you both time and money! Official high school transcripts are needed to verify your GPA.


Bible Requirements for Transfer Students

Transfer students are required to complete Bible courses on a proportional basis according to the number of transferable credits brought in prior to becoming a Northwestern student.


Credit by Examination

You can earn credit for selected courses if you have passed standardized examinations such as Advanced Placement, College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DSST, and International Baccalaureate (IB).

Credit by Examination

Undergraduate Transfer Counselors

Become a Student


Visit Campus


Contact Us