Department of Music & Theatre
Music—Music Ministry Emphasis
- Bachelor of Science
Combine comprehensive musical training with biblical theology for effective church ministry. You will learn to think critically, perform musically, and lead others in worship.
Entrance auditions are required for this major. Auditions are held during the spring semester. You must be admitted to both Northwestern and the Department of Music & Theatre in order to major in music. Please refer to the Music Admissions & Scholarships for audition requirements and dates.
Why study music ministry at Northwestern?
Learn from highly credentialed music faculty, seasoned performers, noted educators, sought-after conductors, and acclaimed composers who are dedicated to your musical excellence.
You can participate in competitions and perform on regional, national, and international tours while building your education on Northwestern’s 115+ year history as a Christ-centered institution of higher learning. Christian faculty will help you to grow in your faith and your music.
All Northwestern music degrees hold accreditation by the National Association of Schools of Music, the principal U.S. accreditor for higher education in music.
With campus so close to downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul, students can take advantage of opportunities in Minnesota’s thriving music industries.
If you enjoy vocal or instrumental music, are passionate about church ministry, and are interested in a career in music, this might be the right degree for you.
Considering a double major?
The Bachelor of Science in Music with an emphasis in Music Ministry major works well as a double major with a B.S. in Ministry with a Worship and Creative Arts concentration or a B.S. in Youth and Emerging Adult Studies with a Worship and Creative Arts concentration. See the Chair of the Department of Christian Ministries for details and advising.
My education is woven into every aspect of what I'm currently doing as a worship leader. All of my Bible knowledge and music training are used in everyday life!
Careers in music ministry
There are a variety of career and academic pathways that begin with a degree in music ministry.
What types of work are related to this degree?
- Church worship leader
- Ministry positions
- Audio visual technician
- Sound board operation
- Concert hall management or administration
- Music program coordination
- Concert promotion
- Music program coordination
- Music critic
- Artist representation
- Arts administration or management
- Promotion/media relations
- Music librarian
Who employs people with this degree?
- Churches and other ministries
- Private and community music centers (teaching)
- Orchestras, and choral groups
- Opera and theatre companies
- Military ensembles
- Recording studios
- Parks and recreation programs
- Nursing homes and hospitals
- Concert venues and performance halls
- Music-related publishers
- Entertainment law firms and businesses
- Music shops
- Theme parks and cruise ships
Strategies for success:
- Be prepared to minister in other ways in addition to music. Music ministry is often a part-time job unless the church is very large.
- Subscribe to ministry publications and join ministry associations.
- Obtain part-time, summer, internship or volunteer experience in churches as well as hospitals, camps, or overseas programs, or in advocacy or service-oriented programs where music is part of the programming. The more you understand about how music fits in the ministry, the better prepared you are.
- Serve as a peer mentor, resident assistant, or student advisor to cultivate leadership and program development skills.
- Develop competencies in business management, computers, marketing, or other areas to broaden range of employment possibilities.
- Learn to articulate the transferrable skills provided by your liberal arts education: organization, written and oral communication, problem solving, leadership, and so on.
of seniors would advise a friend to attend UNW
of seniors feel well prepared for their first job in the field
of seniors of seniors believe the faculty are genuinely interested in their welfare
What will I learn?
You will learn to think critically, perform musically, and grow closer to God.
Still have questions about this program or how to apply?
Our team is ready with answers!
Discover the Department of Music & Theatre
Professors at Northwestern are focused on their students first. Our faculty include experts in their respective fields who want to help you grow in your faith while you earn your degree.
Meet the Faculty Explore the department