Accreditations and Affiliations
Northwestern is an accredited institution, which certifies that high academic standards are being met and recognized across the higher education industry. Accreditation also enables students to qualify for additional financial aid and transfer credits more easily.
Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street
Chicago, IL 60604
University of Northwestern is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Learn more about the Fall 2018 Reaffirmation of Accreditation visit.
This means credits earned at Northwestern are recognized by other colleges and universities. You may read the 2009 institutional self-study report that was part of our most recent reaccreditation process.
Northwestern students are eligible for all federally-funded financial aid programs and other aid programs.
University of Northwestern is registered as a private institution with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at institution may not transfer to all other institutions.
Other accreditations and affiliations
- Incorporated under the laws of the State of Minnesota as a non-profit operated exclusively for educational, religious, and charitable purposes.
- The Bachelor of Science in Engineering program has received accreditation by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
- A member of the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE) and the Minnesota Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (MACTE).
- Approved by Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB) to offer programs leading to teacher licensure.
- Approved by the State of Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs for the training of veterans as well as survivors and dependents of veterans.
- An accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
- The baccalaureate program in nursing at University of Northwestern – St. Paul is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (www.ccneaccreditation.org).
- Granted certification by the Minnesota Board of Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) to provide the academic component of the Professional Peace Officer Education (PPOE) in Northwestern's criminal justice major (law enforcement track).
- A member of the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference (UMAC), National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA - DIII) and the National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA - DI).
- A member of the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU).
- A member of the Minnesota Private College Council (MPCC).
- A member of the Council of Independent Colleges (CIC).
- A member of the North American Coalition for Christian Admissions Professionals and endorses the NACCAP principles of good practice.
- A member of the National Alliance for Musical Theatre (NAMT).
- A member of the International Network of Christian Higher Education (INCHE).
- A member of the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (NAICU).
- A charter member of the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- Member of the National Association of Evangelicals (NAE).
- A (non-accredited) member of the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (NACEP).
- A member of the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC).
- A member of the Minnesota Learning Commons (MnLC) Advisory Council.
- A founding member of the Open Education Network (OEN).
- A subscriber to Quality Matters (QM) online course review rubric.
- An institutional participant in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA).
- A member of the International Association for Communication and Sport (IACS).
- A member of the Intercollegiate Broadcasting System (IBS).
- A member of the National Communication Association (NCA).
- A member of the Broadcast Education Association (BEA).
- A member of the Event Service Professionals Association (ESPA).
- A member of the Association of Business Administrators of Christian Colleges (ABACC).
- A member of the Christian Adult Higher Education Association (CAHEA).
- A member of the Council for Accelerated Programs (CAP).