Music Application and Scholarships
Interested in pursuing a music major? The online Music Audition Application is required for new students who plan to major in music and also serves as the application for music scholarship consideration for all students, regardless of their major.
Application and Audition Process
Music is a dual admission program. Students must be admitted to both Northwestern and the Department of Music & Theatre in order to major in music. The University of Northwestern – St. Paul music program is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
1. Complete the Music Audition Application.
Create a free account in Acceptd, our application provider, to begin. Apply August 1, 2022 through November 1, 2022 and we will waive the $35 application fee. Use the Music Audition Repertoire guidance sheet to help you select or create recordings that will best showcase your musical strengths.
- Apply by October 17, 2022 for the Saturday, November 12, on-campus Audition Day.
- Apply by January 16, 2023 for Saturday, February 11, and Saturday, February 25, on-campus Audition Days.
- Virtual auditions on additional dates are available by arrangement.
- After January 16, scholarship audition applications may be accepted on a rolling basis as funds allow.
2. Watch for email communication about the results of your application. If you are invited for an audition, reply to confirm your time slot.
3. Audition on campus or virtually.
- Perform for faculty, either the same pieces you submitted with your application or new ones, and demonstrate your skills in sight reading and technique.
- Meet faculty and discuss your goals with them.
- Learn more about what it's like to be a music student at Northwestern by attending a current student recital and Q & A session and talking informally with current students.
- Explore our music facilities and tour campus.
- You may also choose to attend a concert, Theatre production, or sporting event, as available. Ask ahead for complimentary tickets.
- November 12 Audition Day: Theatre play Little Women; home football game
- February 10 evening before the February 11 Audition Day: Symphonic Band & Jazz Ensemble concert
We look forward to getting to know you as you take this next step in your college journey!
Carla Meineke, Music & Theatre Office Coordinator