Music Application and Scholarships
Interested in pursuing a music major? The online Music Audition Application is required for new students who plan to major in music and also serves as the application for music scholarship consideration for all students. Find out more about the application process, dates, and music auditions.
Music is a dual admission program. Students must be admitted to both Northwestern and the Department of Music & Theatre in order to major in music.
The University of Northwestern – St. Paul music program is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
The online Music Audition Application is required for new students who plan to major in music and also serves as the application for music scholarship consideration for all students. Students may apply for a music merit scholarship regardless of their major.
Application: Complete the Music Audition Application.
* Application fee waived until November 1, 2021.
Click on the links below to download important information about your application:
- All applicants: music audition repertoire, how to prepare for your audition
- Music major & minor applicants: music theory placement exam, how to prepare for the online placement exam
- Music major applicants: piano proficiency guidelines, how to prepare for the piano placement evaluation
Students invited to an on-campus/virtual audition will be contacted to schedule an audition.
Scholarship Audition Days
We encourage students to apply and audition as early as possible.
Application submitted by November 1, 2021 (waived application fee)
- Saturday, November 13, 2021 (on-campus)
Application submitted by December 1, 2021
- Virtual audition in December (dates vary)
Application submitted by February 1, 2022
- Saturday, February 26, 2022 (on-campus/virtual)
Carla Meineke, Music & Theatre Office Coordinator