Northwestern hosts students from around the world. Our institution is intentional about serving the academic and spiritual needs of all students regardless of origin. Learn more about F-1 visas, important dates, and cost of attendance.
Northwestern is intentional about serving the academic and spiritual needs of all students regardless of origin. An international student who desires to attend the university in the U.S.A. without maintaining residency or citizenship can do so with an F-1 visa. Due to the extensive process required to become an international student, we recommend you contact us today!
We want to ensure you have a smooth transition with your international relocation. The process may take about a year to complete so having a knowledgeable guide can help alleviate stress. In addition to Northwestern, other entities you’ll be working with include various financial institutions, your country’s embassy, and the Department of Immigration and Naturalization Services.
Do You Need an F-1 Visa?
Generally, an F-1 Visa accommodates people who are: not U.S. citizens, not legal permanent residents or refugees, or dual citizens who completed their secondary schooling abroad. You are considered an international student if you decide to study under a non-immigrant visa status.
NOTE: If you are a U.S. citizen living abroad, please apply as a first-time or transfer student. In the past, the average amount international students such as yourself have needed to supply is approximately 75% of the total cost to attend Northwestern. For the 2019–2020 school year, tuition, room and board, and other necessary expenses will be approximately $44,430. Therefore, 75% of that figure is $33,322. International students have paid these expenses through personal funds, sponsorships and outside scholarships.
Spring 2021 Semester:
- December 1: Student has all paperwork completed and final remaining deposit paid
- December 15: Visa must be secured
- January 7: Arrival to MSP/UNW (Flight arrival should be during the day)
- January 8-10: Orientation
- January 11: Classes start
Fall 2021 Semester:
- July 1: Student has all paperwork completed and deposit paid
- July 16: Visa must be secured
- August 2: Final remaining balance paid
- August 15: Arrival to MSP/UNW (Flight arrival should be during the day)
- August 16: Settle into dormitory/shopping/bank set-up etc.
- August 18: International Student Orientation
- August 20: General Orientation
*Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, these dates may change at any time. Please be in communication with your admissions counselor for the most up-to-date information.