Adult Undergraduate Transfer… | University of Northwestern, St. Paul
UNW Response to Covid-19

Adult Undergraduate Transfer Credit

Adult students have great opportunities to receive credit for prior learning. Our Student Academic Services office can help to determine how your credits transfer so you can finish your degree faster.

Adult student on laptop in classroom

Whether you’re starting college for the first time or returning to complete your education, we want to help you get the most out of your past education and life experience. We will work with you to evaluate your situation and help transfer as many credits as possible toward your program of study.

General education and elective courses can be earned through on-site or online courses or transferred from other institutions. Talk to your admission counselor about details specific to your situation.

General Education Requirements

For all bachelor’s degrees, you will need to earn or transfer credit for the following subjects for a total of 31 credits:

  • English Composition* (3 credits)
  • Critical Thinking and Writing* (3 credits)
  • Speech* (3 credits)
  • Humanities—2 areas (6 credits)
  • Math (4)
  • Science (4)
  • Social Science —2 areas (8 credits) *

You will start with speaking and composition courses to equip you with vital skills you will need for your course of study.


You will need to earn or transfer 33-58 elective credits, depending on your major. In addition to taking classes at Northwestern you may be able to earn elective credits through the options listed below. Talk to your admission counselor for more information.

Questions about credit transfer?

Contact Admissions

Phone: 651-631-5200
Toll-free: 888-362-8715

Become a Student


Visit us on Campus

Schedule a Visit

Get More Information

Contact Us