Credentialed – 1988, Ordained – 1990
- 2005-Present: International Greek New Testament Project Steering Committee (This is a team producing a major critical edition of the New Testament)
- 2010-Present: Editio Critica Major Steering Committee (This committee steers the IGNTP unit at SBL.)
- 2000-Present: American Society of Papyrology
- 1999-Present: Friends of Mount Athos
- Invited – Tommy Wasserman and Sidnie White Crawford are editing The Oxford Handbook of the Textual Criticism of the Bible, and have invited me to write a chapter on “New Testament Textual Criticism in Teaching and Practice.” Publication planned for 2022.
- Invited – Craig Keener and Holly Beers are editing a new series of academic commentaries (with BakerAcademic), aimed at pentecostal and charismatic pastors and lay leaders. I have been invited to co-author the commentary on Timothy/Titus with Gordon Fee (expanding and updating his previous publications). Publication planned for 2023 or later.
- 2022 – Primer on Beginning Greek Palaeography
- 2020 – “In Defense of the Ursprache”
- 2018 – Textual Criticism of the Bible, Revised edition, co-authored with Wendy Widder. Lexham Methods Series, Douglas Mangum, ed.
- 2015 – “Codex 2193 and Family 1 in Mark” Studies on the Text of the New Testament and Early Christianity (New Testament Tools, Studies and Documents 50), Gurtner, Hernandez, & Foster, eds., Brill.
- 2014 – “Family 1 in Mark: Preliminary Results”Early Readers, Scholars and Editors of the New Testament: Papers from the Eighth Birmingham Colloquium on the Textual Criticism of the New Testament (Texts and Studies 11), H.A.G. Houghton, ed., Gorgias Press.
- 2011 – Devotional for a Cross-Cultural Year, Designed for first time missionaries and missionary-associates in Students for Christ, Europe. Currently being edited after field testing. Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium: Students for Christ-Europe
- 2010 – When You Come Together: Challenging the Church to an Interactive Relationship with God
*This book is a reflection on what it means to be pentecostal and charismatic, and is written for lay people. Being Church Publishers
- 2004 –The Textual Tradition of the Gospels: Family 1 in Matthew, Based on my dissertation, but significantly rewritten, Brill Academic Publishers, “Texts and Studies” Series
- 2000 –To Love the Ancient Text, Self-published manual of beginning Greek using the inductive method, now in its 8th revised edition.
- 2010 – Founded The Center for Ancient Texts and Languages. CATL is a 501c3 that supports research in textual criticism and mentors students into postgraduate education. Its outreach arm, The Biblical Literacy Project, supports the teaching of college-level Bible and Bible backgrounds in churches and groups. Websites for CATL and the BLP are as follows: https://www.tcatl.org/
- 2023 – “Using the Inductive Method to Teach Textual Criticism,” Northwestern Scholarship Symposium
Church Involvement and Community Service
- Founder and Director of the Center for Ancient Texts and Languages
- Instructor at the Biblical Literacy Project
- Member of Sojourn Campus Church
- Detective novels and shows
- Animals of all sorts
- Camping and hiking
Why do you love your discipline?
"I am convinced that biblical scholarship is one of the most important missing pieces in the health of the church today. Many Christians know next to nothing about their Bible, but even those who read it regularly treat it as 'What's my verse of the day?' Pastors are sadly often no exception.
Scripture becomes both more interesting and more powerful as the believer learns historical/cultural backgrounds, critical issues, and the skills for good exegesis."